Sunday, September 25, 2011

My priorities?

     I've been sitting in front of my computer after a great Sunday service and an amazing omelette, trying to wake up from a food coma. Then, I started thinking about my weekend, which was filled with the same message that Pastor Dan preached on today. Today's sermon was about Jesus' priorities (Mark 1:35-45). It really hit me today when Pastor Dan asked us, "Where are your priorities?" He also asked himself, "Before I'm a good pastor, am I a good Christian?", which made me question, "Before I'm a good student, am I a good Christian?".
     Couple of times this weekend, I've had to question my priorities. It might not seem like a big deal, but I was torn between an hour of homework and an hour of foot games with specs for Disco Swat. Something pushed me into going, and I'm so glad I did. I've met some great and passionate specs, and one of the specs ended up coming to church with us today.
     This past weekend, I've also been challenged by Cecelia's talk during Large Group. She talked about her time in Haiti after her graduation, which made me wonder how I would respond if God were to call me away from my plans. I've always told myself that since I am not striving for fame or wealth, what I am doing must be for God's glory. But through Cecelia's talk and today's sermon, I've come to realize that just because it is counter-cultural, it doesn't mean that I'm on the road to glorifying God. It could be, but it doesn't automatically make me a good Christian.
     I hope all of us will be challenged, and continue to be challenged, by the question: "Before I'm a good student (teacher/daughter/son/doctor/pastor/etc), am I a good Christian?"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Nancy! I think God's definitely been challenging me to rethink my priorities as well. I wonder at the term "good Christian," though. What is a good Christian?

    I found the following to be an interesting verse:

    "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you." Romans 12:3

    What does it mean for faith to be given or distributed? And how much can we work towards being a "good Christian?" (because I think we still DO need to do our part to respond to God's grace and grow). Hmm...

    ReplyDelete